Kanya Maha Vidyalaya , the flag bearer of women education in North India, with a rich legacy of 133 year , has played a significant role in empowering women in northern India . Women’s Studies Centre , established in 2009 under the dynamic leadership of Prof. Dr. Atima Sharma Dwivedi , Principal, K.M.V and Director, WSC with UGC funding , aims to be a catalyst in transforming women’ lives by imparting gender based education, inculcating confidence & leadership qualities and preparing them to achieve self actualisation with the ultimate goal of developing a gender neutral society . The main motive behind the establishment of the centre is to sensitise students about their rights and the issues related to the process of growing up and seeking their rightful place in the society.
Mission and Vision
- To study and analyse socio economic environment to understand the position and problems of women with a view to find practical solutions.
- To organise seminars, panel discussions, lectures and open house sessions to generate awareness among girl students about their rights, capacities & potentials.
- To nurture leadership skills among students
- To address the academic and psycho-social concerns of the girls through counselling cell.
- To empower women through diverse skill training programmes and make them confident and economically self-reliant.
- To focus on women centric issues through research and advocacy.
- To generate primary database on gender issues through field work and surveys.
- To forge collaboration with NGOs and Women Organisations to transform the social mindset of society towards gender roles and rights.
- Nearly 300 women from economically disadvantaged strata have been imparted job skill training through certificate courses in cosmetology, fashion designing and spoken English.
- 18 batches of 60 students each have been imparted trained in Self Defence Techniques.
- Two Projects and Five surveys on various contemporary Women Issues have been conducted.
- Each year 2 to 3 Open House sessions have been organized, chaired by Prof. Atima Sharma Dwivedi, Director and Principal to address the problems of students.
- Nearly 100 students have been counselled each year.