The PG Department of English at KMV is one of the oldest departments of this 134 year old pioneering institution. It has highly qualified and committed faculty with a thirst for research and creativity and publishes a Peer Reviewed International Journal ‘The Oracle’. It has to its credit UGC funded Research Projects and a Digital Language Laboratory. The department offers MA English and BA (Honours) English (A Three Year Degree Programme), Certificate Course in Spoken English, apart from the teaching of Elective English, English Compulsory and Communication Skills in many disciplines. The department organised an International Conference on English Studies Across and Beyond Borders in collaboration with ESBB (English Scholars Beyond Borders), an International body of English scholars from March 6-8, 2019 besides having organised an International conference on ‘Cross Cultural Nuances’ and a UGC Sponsored National Seminar on ‘English Language Teaching: Themes, Issues and Challenges’ in the past few years. The vibrant ‘Emerging Litterateurs’ Society’ (ELS), being run under its aegis, organises several activities to develop the students’ talents. It has organised Inter-College Competitions with various events like Dramatic Enactment of Scenes, Fancy Dress, Quiz, Portrait-Making and Poetry Recitation from English Literature under Shakespeare Festival and Litmania. The Department also imparts training in Spoken English and foreign languages by inviting native teachers of the languages concerned. It also regularly organises Extension Lectures and various other literary activities by inviting renowned speakers from India and abroad from time to time for the benefit of young learners.
- The Department publishes a Peer Reviewed International Journal ‘The Oracle’
- First and the only department of a women’s college in Jalandhar to offer the prestigious B.A. (Honours) English, a prestigious three-year degree programme
- A Hi-tech Digital Language Lab with innovative and comprehensive software for Advanced Listening & Speaking Skills
- Another Fully Automated Language Lab for Interactive Language Learning
- ICT based Infrastructure Facilities
- Highly active & vibrant Emerging Littérateurs’ Society (ELS) that regularly organizes student- centric literary activities like:
- Shakespeare Festival
- Creative Writing (Poem & Short Story)
- Literary Quiz: Explorations
- Paper Reading / Declamation Contest
- Extension Lectures / Seminars with experts as Resource Persons from International / National Universities
- Film Festivals
- Acta Diurna: An Innovative Wall Magazine designed and edited by students singly or in groups to give vent to their creativity
- Well Stocked Departmental Library with latest books, journals, movies DVDs and e-resources
- International exposure through KMV- US Universities’ tie-up for various programmes
- Unique opportunity to learn foreign languages like French, German, Chinese, Spanish and Spoken English from native teachers
- Special skill development programmes like personality development, foundation course, moral education etc.
- Highly competent & dedicated faculty which mentors the students
- Minor Research Projects granted by the UGC: 2 (Mrs. Mohini Sharda & Mrs Rituparna)
- 18 Books (Creative, Critical, Translations, Edited Books) by the Dept Faculty
- About 200 Papers Published by the Dept faculty in International & National Journals & Books
- More than 105 Papers Presented by the Dept faculty at International & National Seminars
- The Dept. Faculty has acted as Resource Persons in Academic and Skill Building Training Programmes / Workshops at National & State level events as well as within the college for various Innovative Programmes like School for Personality Development, KMV School of Communications, Foundation Programme and Moral Education Lectures.