The department of food science and microbiology is running successfully in the college since 1995. It was established with the aim to prepare the students for careers by equipping them with competencies for moving into job markets or for self employment.
The department offers under graduate course in Food Science Quality Control and Microbiology leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science (Medical). The subjects offered in the course include Food Science, Microbiology and Chemistry along with the compulsory subjects.
Besides the academic work, the department is engaged in various extension activities like Extension Lectures, Industrial Visits and training, Adulteration check of food and Microbiological testing of food and water, Drying of seasonal fruits and vegetables, Confectionary items ( chocolates and candy), Bakery items (cakes and muffins), Online assignments, Usage of Smart Class, E-books. The main aim of the department is to prepare the students for entrepreneur skills.
- Extension lectures by experts.
- Industrial visits and industrial training for the students.
- Preparation of various fortified, nutritionally high food products by the students (Food Stall).
- Drying of various Seasonal fruits and vegetables which includes the preparation of Amchoor, kasoori methi, turmeric, wheat grass powder, moringa powder, dried amla etc.
- Preparation of healthy chocolates (oats, fig, sesame, cornflakes, walnuts, flax seeds, wheat grass, moringa etc.) , muffins and cakes.
- Adulteration check of food.
- Microbiological testing of food and water.
- Papad making.